Welcome to my blog. I document my adventures in mommyhood, the midwest, and my calligraphy antics. Hope you have a nice stay!

Our Baby Story-The First Trimester

Our Baby Story-The First Trimester

Here is it folks! A post that will likely bore those not into kids, and one that our family will probably read five times over—our Baby Story :)


John had always wanted children, and honestly when we got married I thought our lives would just be the two of us, traveling the world, sans kids. So it was a big surprise to him when I got baby fever last summer. I was having too much fun buying shower gifts for my sorority sister! I started looking at baby clothes whenever we went into a store, casually strolling by the crib section...you get the idea. We decided to 'live it up' over the summer before trying, but we were finding we were in bed early all the time and kind of being homebodies, we were starting to think more and more we were ready to be parents. We just weren't as selfish with our time anymore. So we decided to start trying and I got off birth control in September.

We were incredibly fortunate that it only took us two months to get pregnant. I had an inkling that I was pregnant around week 3 when I woke up in the middle of the night and thought I had the stomach flu, I felt really nauseous and thought I was going to get sick. I chalked it up to maybe something I ate didn’t agree with me, or it was a delayed hangover. But, then I had a dentist appointment about a week later and I felt sick again. I had been experiencing cramps all day but never got my period, and I was two days late. On a whim, I took a pregnancy test when I got home (two tests to be exact, because anyone who knows my control freak self—I want to be absolutely sure). Both were positive! The cats were in the bathroom looking at me (because every cat owner knows there’s no such thing as going to the bathroom alone) and I just thought ‘…what the #&@%?!’

I bought a stuffed bunny rabbit when we decided to start trying with the intention of giving it to John when we got pregnant. So I sanitized the tests (obvi), set them out by the bunny and they waited in the bathroom until he got home from work. When he got home, I awkwardly followed him around the apartment asking him how his day was, just waiting for him to get ready to hop in the shower. When he opened the bathroom door (Lord knows if I left that door open the cats would have attached the stuffed bunny and/or played with the tests…nasty.) he was so confused, but when he realized what was happening he was ecstatic! Elated! He gave me a big hug and kept saying ‘I’m going to be a Dad!’ all night. My heart was bursting! I’m so fortunate to have a partner who is so invested and involved in our now growing family.

The bunny I gave John to let him know we were pregnant!

The bunny I gave John to let him know we were pregnant!

The first trimester wasn’t too bad (knock on wood)! During the first month I would get bouts of nausea and I’m not sure if it was certain smells that brought it on or if the smells made it worse (the worst culprits: fast food, hand lotion, and coffee). Thankfully the worst of it happened over Christmas and New Years when I was off work. At first, I was CRAVING chicken and I totally lost my taste for sweets—which was a HUGE shock to John and I because I’m not a big meat eater and I have the biggest sweet tooth! But I’m happy my cravings were going towards lean protein :)

The cramps in the beginning of my first trimester, however, were not fun. I couldn’t tell if the pain caused some of the nausea or it was just two different symptoms I was experiencing and my body just wanted to give them to me at the same time? I got them about every two hours starting around 10am (the craziest part—my mom had the exact same symptoms when she was pregnant with me, around the same time of day!). Going through the workday with these symptoms was lots of fun... :)

Week 4-5 I was tired a LOT; going to bed at 8pm almost every night. I started forgetting things and getting baby brain around the 4.5 week mark, thankfully I’m a list maker by nature so this came in extra handy! The best part of during this time is that I felt AWESOME when I woke up! So I got my workouts in at 6am to ensure I was staying active, because by the time I left work around 5pm, I felt like I had been hit by a semi truck…I was so tired!

Week 6 Around week 6 my symptoms started to go away, a lot less morning sickness, but still very fatigued! We moved into our new apartment this week (which I would NOT recommend moving when preggo and in the middle of winter…) the hormonal mood swings, boxes galore…what a nightmare. Fact: I had a three hour cry sesh because John accidentally chipped the washing machine when trying to hang a shelf in our laundry room. :) However, minus the tears and John’s aching back from having to move all our furniture around, it was kind of nice not being able to lift anything—it will likely be the easiest move (physically) I’ll ever have!

Week 7 We had our first ultrasound at week 7. I was so nervous—I just couldn’t believe we had gotten pregnant so fast, it all just seemed too good to be true. Our baby was about the size of a grain of rice at the time so the little heartbeat was too small to hear, but we could see the sound waves. I was overcome with emotion when I saw it. Typically my husband is a weeper and I tend to not be as…emotional. So it was a surprise to both of us when he was my rock and I had tears streaming down my face watching that little heartbeat. It was so hard going back to work afterwards, I just want to show off the ultrasound photo of our little rice grain!

Week 8-9 Around this time my taste for sweets and all my normal cravings started to come back. Around our 9 week prenatal appointment, we heard the baby’s heartbeat! Not to be biased or anything…but our baby has the prettiest heartbeat <3

My mom also came to visit us this week to help us settle into our new apartment I’m so thankful she was here, it was so much fun visiting some of our favorite boutiques and buying some onesies for Baby O’Wu—I have a feeling my parents will be visiting a lot more with baby on the way!

Week 11 Hubs won a work trip to Montreal and my friend Scott and I totally took advantage of it! We didn’t find out until the night before we left that John was going to be about 2 hours outside of the city playing in the mountains (nothing like waiting till the last minute!), so Scott and I had a blast eating our way around the city! It was a great place for a preggo, so many delicious herbal teas and fresh juice! Mmm! I’ll be sharing more about our trip on the blog soon!

Our pregnancy announcement photo, taken in Old Montreal

Our pregnancy announcement photo, taken in Old Montreal

FAQs since telling people I'm pregnant...

Are you finding out what you're having?Yes! I’m a Type A planner! There is no way I could wait and not know, and I'm so excited to find out! We’ll find out sometime in April, we don’t have our ultrasound scheduled yet, but we’ll certainly announce it once we find out. We have a bedroom that's all set to go for the nursery, so I can't wait to know and start decorating!

What do you think you're having? I’m going to plead the fifth on this one. I’ve heard lots of people say my symptoms are all boy, but the really cool part is I’ve had identical symptoms my mom had when she was pregnant with me. A lot of my co-workers have said they all had the same symptoms with their pregnancies, regardless of sex—so I’m not really buying into any of the old wives’ tales. Regardless, we will be thrilled either way; I’m just so amazed at what my body is capable of doing!

How far along:  I'll be 13 weeks tomorrow!

Baby's size: Somewhere in between the size of a plum and a lemon, so about 2-3"

Food cravings:  Fruit and water! I’ve been super thirsty!

Anything making you queasy or sick: Coffee! Which is SUCH a bummer, because I love coffee, I used to be able to just smell a cup and I’d be on Cloud 9, now, nothing makes me more sick. Sometimes when hubs cooks seasoned chicken from Trader Joe’s that’s a big no-no, so there’s been some adjustments in our kitchen.

Sleep: Lord, I cant get enough. Around week 10 I was finally able to stay up past 8pm. A big change was having to get up to use the bathroom at least twice a night (TMI?...let's face it a lot of this blog post is TMI :) ). I’ve never been one to wake up in the middle of the night; when I used to hit the pillow, I was out til morning! So this has been a slightly frustrating adjustment. I’m just telling myself it’s my body getting me ready for when the baby gets here—because we’ll be waking up quite a bit for feedings!

Gender:  We’ll find out in April!

Movement: Not yet...excited for it to start though!

Best moment: There were a couple of really great ones! Seeing John's reaction, seeing the baby's heartbeat for the first time were both so beautiful. I just can’t believe we created this precious nugget!

Miss anything? Rosé…Prosecco…unpasteurized cheese. If there’s one thing my book club keeps reminding me of, it’s of the most fabulous get together we’ll be having post baby :) For now, I’ll be drinking lots of La Croix!

What’s With Baby O’Wu? So I never changed my last name when John and I got married. We both explored some ideas—do we both hyphenate our last names, do we change our last name to something entirely new? Both of us are so connected to our names and we love them so much, neither of us felt right about changing them. So, we’ve decided to give our baby both of our names. It’ll be Baby O’Rourke-Wu. For fun, we’ve always referred to our family as the O’Wus, so that’s exactly what we’ll be nicknaming Baby :)

Bonjour, Montréal!

Bonjour, Montréal!

Happy (Belated) Lunar New Year!

Happy (Belated) Lunar New Year!